Thursday, October 27, 2011

More Research on Disney

Recently I found an artist work on minimalism and one of them happened to be about Disney, I thought I would blog about it because it related to my original idea where I would strip Disney down to its most simplest term. Even though my idea has changed since then, I thought it was still interesting to look at this person's work. The artist's name is Juanca Yto and he is a graphic designer by also a typographer. 


So as you can see, Yto took the most iconic characteristics about each Disney character and display them in a rectangular shape. In the first row, it's easy to tell that the characters are Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, Goofy and Pluto. In the second row, you can tell that the shapes are the characters to Winnie the Pooh. For the third set, it was a bit harder to figure it out but they are the characters from Lion King. If the third set of rectangular shapes were by itself, I think it would really hard to tell what they are. By looking at this person's work, I figured that minimalism Disney has been done before and that it really would be too safe to do something like this for thesis. 

I've also found these photographs by Alicia Jeremias, I thought they were really compelling and really touching at the same time. Basically, it's a set of photographs of a little girl dressed up in Disney princess outfits. I think these photographs really capture the idea of innocence which Disney promotes through the princess movies but at the same time, the photographs show a sense of struggle for the young child. A struggle that such a young child at that age should not experience. And that struggle seem to take away her innocence. When we look at the bigger picture, Disney princesses promote this sense of innocence and fairy tale where princesses are beautiful, they live in castles and fall in love with princes. As these little girls get older, they find out that a lot these fantasies don't come true. Real life is full of struggles and disappointments. Through these experiences, we lose a lot of our innocent qualities. 






No comments:

Post a Comment