Saturday, October 1, 2011

Brainstorming Part II

Currently in my Design 3A class, we are learning about data visualization and coding data visually. What we've done so far in this class is something that I've never done before. I think this class takes graphic design to the next level because we are taking all the stuf that we learned about graphic design and adding time and motion to graphic design. The first project that we did in class was to make a AfterEffects video about a haiku. This projects deals a lot with typography and the challenge for me was to set type in motion. I had to think about how the text flow into the screen and think about how it transition from one set to another. From doing this project, I've looked up a lot of videos for inspiration and tutorial; I came across one artist that I really like whose name Bjorn Amundsen. I think his typographic videos are quite simple and has minimal effects which makes me appreciate the way he set up his type in the video more. 



In The Beginning from Bjorn Amundsen on Vimeo.

Easter from Bjorn Amundsen on Vimeo.

In the last class, my professor spoke about data visualization where we take a whole bunch of data and try to creatively express it in an interesting manner. I think that for sure when you're doing a project on data visualization or any sort of info graphics, you need some sort of system so that things will be organized in the end. There was a video that was shown in class about how an artist came up with a system of where things are painted on the wall, that particular artist did not actually end up painting but had other people follow his instructions and painted the walls. I was looking at Behance.com and I came across this artist whose work is similar to the artist that my professor showed in class. Obviously, when we look at the title, we know what the artist is trying to convey which is the city. But if we didn't know the title, I think the system of different combinations of circles make a very interesting pattern, there's a certain rhythm to each of the piece and the selection of color makes the eyes dance around the piece. I feel that the artist probably used some sort of system in order to make the piece, I don't think that the artist just randomly place different size circles next to each other, it was done in a conscious manner. I think that is what data visualization is about sometimes. Instead of just looking at a bunch of numbers and data, by applying a system to it, it becomes really interesting. It becomes more than just a bunch of numbers and data. 

Circle City 6, Holger Lippman, 2011

Circle City Series, Holger Lippman, 2011

Circle City Series, Holger Lippman, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment